To put some numbers behind my assertion, I started timing some tasks which I do daily:
- Copying files and folders.
- Moving files and folders.
- Create symbolic links.
- Edit text files.
- Create folders
After I started timing some of this tasks and thinking about new ones, I came into the conclusion that this wasn't a fair contest, for the GUI. Some basic tasks can be easily done and quite fast (not as fast as in the CLI) but others are impossible. Any task which involved more than 3 iterations are mind numbing, like:
- Finding a file in a list of compressed files.
- Renaming a list of files.
- Editing a bunch of image files.
- And many more.
Anyway, here are my results which were timed, of course, on the CLI ($time read x)